Do you want to add some natural sweetness to your life? Sugarcane is a natural sweetener with a variety of health benefits. It’s also a sustainable crop that can be grown in a variety of climates, making it an excellent choice for many households. In this post, we’ll explore the many benefits of sugarcane and give you tips on how to incorporate it into your diet. We’ll also discuss the environmental impact of sugarcane production and how it can be used to create a more sustainable future. Finally, we’ll share a few delicious recipes that highlight this unique and healthy sweetener. So read on to learn more about sugarcane and how to make it part of your life!
Sugarcane Juice Nutrition Facts and Calories Chart
Sugarcane is an incredibly nutritious plant-based food. It is packed with essential vitamins and minerals that are beneficial for the body. It contains high amounts of Vitamin C, potassium, magnesium, and iron. It also offers a significant amount of dietary fiber, which is important for digestive health. Sugarcane is also a good source of carbohydrates, providing energy to the body. Additionally, it is low in calories and fat, making it a great snack for those looking to maintain a healthy weight. Nutritional value per 100 g sugarcane juice:
- Biotin: 0.004 µg
- Calcium: 11.2 mg
- Carbohydrates (Carbs): 10.94 g
- Chloride: 2.5 mg
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
- Choline: 0.5 mg
- Chromium: 0.006 µg
- Copper: 0.056 mg
- Dietary Fiber: 0.2 g
- Energy (Calories): 32 kcal
- Fat: 0.2 g
- Iodine: 0.02 µg
- Iron: 0.3 mg
- Magnesium: 8 mg
- Manganese: 0.08 mg
- Molybdenum: 0.006 µg
- Pantothenic Acid: 0.09 mg
- Phosphorus: 11 mg
- Potassium: 106 mg
- Protein: 0.3 g
- Saturated fat: 0.1 g
- Selenium: 0.03 µg
- Sodium: 1.64 mg
- Sugars: 9.3 g
- Vitamin A: 0 µg
- Vitamin B1 (Thiamin): 0.04 mg
- Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin): 0.02 mg
- Vitamin B3 (Niacin): 0.1 mg
- Vitamin B5 (Pantothenic Acid): 0.09 mg
- Vitamin B6: 0.03 mg
- Vitamin B9 (Folate / Folic Acid): 1.5 µg
- Vitamin B12: 0 µg
- Vitamin C: 1.4 mg
- Vitamin D: 0 µg
- Vitamin E: 0.02 mg
- Vitamin K: 0.1 µg
- Water: 88.8 g
- Zinc: 0.08 mg
Sugarcane in India
Sugarcane is not a fruit, it is stem of plant. Young shoots and rhizomes are eaten as sugar cane, sweet in taste. Sugarcane is a tropical plant grown mainly in plantations in the West Indies and South America. It is a perennial plant that grows to a height of 20 ft (6 meters). The cane is usually 1-2 in (2.5-5 cm) in diameter and closely resembles bamboo.
- Scientific Binomial: Saccharum officinarum
- Common English: Noble Cane
- Ayurvedic: Dirgha-chhada / Bhuurirasa / Morata / Asipatra / Madhutrna / Gudamuula / Trnarasa
- Unani: Gannaa / Naishakar
- Sanskrit: Ikshu / Pundrakah
- Hindi / Urdu: Eekh / Ganna
- Bengali: Aakh / Ikkhu / Gendari / Kushor
- Marathi: Sherdi / Us
- Telugu: Cheruku
- Tamil: Karumbu / Pundaram / Nanal
- Kannada: Petta patti kabbu / Khabbu
- Malayalam: Karibpu
- Punjabi / Sindhi
Drinking sugar cane juice can also be helpful, as is cranberry juice with a little lime juice added. The Ayurvedic Pharmacopoeia of India recommends the juice of the stem in haemorrhagic diseases and anuria; and the root in dysuria. Sugarcane juice is rich source of thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, pantothenic acid, biotin, and vitamin D.
- Cane juice contains glycolic acid which improves skin complexion as it has anti wrinkle effect, prevents scaly growth and increases natural collagen andelastin in the skin.
- Fermented juice of sugarcane is good for diarrhea and dysentery. Sugarcane juice alleviates diseases due to derangement of liver and digestive functions.
- Sugarcane, when chewed, mixed with saliva was considered a nourishing tonic, while the juice extracted mechanically was considered constipative.
- Sugarcane contains alpha-hydroxy acids, or AHAs that clear away dead cells on the surface of your skin. Use a lotion or cream that contains AHAs. These products encourage collagen growth, which fills in wrinkles. They also counteract free radicals, which are rogue oxygen molecules in your body that can damage your skin.
- Sugar cane juice shows restorative, cooling, laxative, demulcent, diuretic, antiseptic properties. Used in general debility, haemophilic conditions, jaundice and urinary diseases.
- The root of sugarcane has been included in reputed diuretic drugs, singly or in combination.
- Food yeast and baker’s yeast is prepared by the fermentation of sugarcane molasses.
- In homoeopathic medicine, sugarcane is an antiseptic which combats infection and putrefaction; is considered a nutrient and tonic in a variety of cardio-vascular affections.
- Policosanol is a naturally occurring compound extracted from sugarcane wax, beeswax, or rice bran wax. It is composed of a combination of fatty alcohol groups that includes octacosanol. Studies shows that it is equally effective as pharmaceutical cholesterol lowering medications. Policosanol appears to do a better job of increasing the good HDL cholesterol.
Side Effects and Disadvantages
Diabetic patients needs to consult doctors before consuming any form of sugarcane. Pregnant women or breastfeeding mothers should not use policosanol (compound extracted from sugarcane wax). Even though AHA (compound extracted from sugarcane wax) is good for skin, it can sometimes cause irritation, try a touch of the product on a small patch of skin first. If the patch doesn’t turn red by the next day, the moisturizer is safe for you to use.
Q. Is sugarcane juice good for diabetes?
Sugarcane juice contains sucrose, glucose and fructose. Non-sugar constituents present in the cane juice are carbohydrates other than sugars. This makes it unsafe for diabetes.
Q. Is muscovado sugar and brown sugar the same? What is the Indian name for muscovado sugar?
Muscovado sugar, sometimes called mascavo sugar, is common in parts of Southeast Asia and Brazil. The flavor is much more complex and rich than brown sugar and refined white sugar. Because of the limited amount of processing, the muscovado retains some of the mineral content that is lost in refined sugars. It makes an ideal substitute for light or dark brown sugar. Gud / Jaggery / crude sugar is obtained by processing fresh sugarcane juice shows helpful properties cleansing urine, biliary derangement, as a cardiac tonic.