Brinjal, also known as eggplant, is one of the most versatile vegetables in the kitchen. Its mild flavor and firm texture make it a great addition to many dishes, from classic Italian eggplant parmesan to a variety of vegetarian and vegan recipes. In this post, we’ll take a look at some of the health benefits of eating brinjal, as well as some delicious ways to prepare it. We’ll also explore how this nutrient-packed vegetable can help you reach your health goals. So, let’s dive in and find out what makes brinjal so special!
Brinjal or Eggplant Nutrition Facts and Calories Chart
Brinjal is an incredibly nutritious vegetable and is an excellent source of many vitamins and minerals. It is a great source of dietary fiber, vitamin C, vitamin K, folate, potassium, manganese, magnesium, and other essential vitamins and minerals. It also contains a wide variety of phytonutrients, including phenolic compounds, which have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Brinjal also contains a good amount of vitamin B6, vitamin E, iron, calcium, and other important nutrients for overall health. Nutritional value per 100 g brinjal:
- Biotin: 0 mcg
- Calcium: 12 mg
- Carbohydrates (Carbs): 6.2 g
- Chloride: 11 mg
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
- Choline: 0 mg
- Chromium: 0 mcg
- Copper: 0.07 mg
- Dietary Fiber: 2.4 g
- Energy (Calories): 25 kcal
- Fat: 0.2 g
- Iodine: 0 mcg
- Iron: 0.6 mg
- Magnesium: 12 mg
- Manganese: 0.2 mg
- Molybdenum: 0 mcg
- Pantothenic Acid: 0.08 mg
- Phosphorus: 22 mg
- Potassium: 260 mg
- Protein: 1.2 g
- Saturated fat: 0.05 g
- Selenium: 0.6 mcg
- Sodium: 2 mg
- Sugars: 2.2 g
- Vitamin A: 8 IU
- Vitamin B1 (Thiamin): 0.06 mg
- Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin): 0.05 mg
- Vitamin B3 (Niacin): 0.5 mg
- Vitamin B5 (Pantothenic Acid): 0.08 mg
- Vitamin B6: 0.1 mg
- Vitamin B9 (Folate / Folic Acid): 9 mcg
- Vitamin B12: 0 mcg
- Vitamin C: 6 mg
- Vitamin D: 0 mcg
- Vitamin E: 0.3 mg
- Vitamin K: 7.2 mcg
- Water: 88.2 g
- Zinc: 0.2 mg
Brinjal in India
Eggplants can be red, yellow or even white, but the most common kind is purple and pear-shaped. It is one of the first dish in any respectable North African or Middle Eastern eatery is classical roasted eggplant.
- Scientific Binomial: Solanum melongena
- Common English: Eggplant / Brinjal / Aubergine
- Ayurvedic: Bhantaki / Bhantaa / Vaartaaka / Vaartaaku / Vaartaakini / Vrintaaka
- Unani: Baingan
- Hindi / Urdu: Baingan
- Bengali: Begun
- Marathi: Vange
- Telugu: Vankaya / Sannvankaya
- Tamil: Kathirikai / Kattiri
- Kannada: Badanekai / Gulla
- Malayalam: Vazhuthananga
- Punjabi / Sindhi
A 1/2 cup of eggplant contains 3.3 carbs, 1.2 fiber, 0.1 fat, 0.4 protein and 14 cal. Eggplant fruit is good sources of soluble fiber. Eggplant is very helpful in the treatment of abdominal pain, cholesterol, cramps, dental problems, food poisoning, nosebleed, and toothache. Brinjal is among the top ten vegetables in terms of the ability to absorb oxygen radicals, due to its high contents of many classes of phenolic compounds.
- Reduces Alcohol Effect: Infusion made with eggplant calyx is very good to mellow the effects of alcohol in the bloodstream and to stop smoker’s hacking cough. To make this infusion separate only calyx part of the brinjal and cut it into the small pieces. Calix is the part of stem attached to the fruit. Bring 2 cups of water to boil. Add 2 and 1/2 tablespoon of chopped calyx in the boiling water. Simmer and boil it for another 20 minutes. Strain and drink when warm. This water is also useful to neutralize poising caused by certain types of berries or mushroom or datura flower (moonflower / angel’s trumpets).
- Dental Problems: Apart from these benefits, calyx can make a nice home remedy for all dental problems. Separate the calyxes from fruit. Spread out on a cookie sheet and slowly roasted at 175° F. for 24-30 hours or until they can be easily reduced to a powder by grinding. Take another cookie sheet to spread kelp and sea salt. Take 1/4 cup of sea salt and 2 tbsps. of powdered kelp and mix together thoroughly. Slowly roast at the same temperature as above for about half the time. When sufficiently cooled, the sea salt and kelp should be mixed in with the powdered eggplant calyxes. The purulent gum disease and pyorrhea can be successfully treated by lightly brushing the teeth and gums with some of this eggplant-salt-kelp mixture before retiring for the night. After brushing rinse the mouth with cold water, and, then, with a moistened forefinger dipped into some of this mixture, rub some more of it on the outside of the gums. Leave it on for awhile before rinsing away.
- Nosebleed: The same mixture is very useful for stopping nose bleeding. Dip the slightly wet cloth into the mixture and insert the same in the nose.
- Ulcers: To stop ulcers from internal bleeding take 2/3 tsp. eggplant-salt-kelp mixture blended with 1/2 cup of water. Repeat this, as needed. Note: Those with hypertension should not take this internally!
- Measles Immunity: The seeds of eggplant are stimulant. Intake of half a gram to one gram of these seeds daily for three days will help develop immunity against measles for one year.
- The brinjal is also useful in overcoming functional sterility. Cooked tender eggplants, should be eaten with butter-milk everyday for a month or two for this purpose. It increases the capacity to absorb vitamin E and stimulate the secretion of progesterone.
- Abdominal Pains: Abdominal pains specially in case of women, try drinking eggplant drink. Bring water to boil. Add chopped, dried eggplant and ripe tamarind in equal proportion. Simmer for half an hour. Strain and then drunk, 2 cups at a time. Works great to relieve any kind of abdominal pains.
- Skin Infections: Fungal infection such as wart can be treated effectively with aubergine. A poultice of raw eggplant applied topically produce excellent results. Change once a day.
- Liver and Heart Health: Brinjal is recommended in liver complaints and for amenorrhea. Many studies shows that the eggplant fruit is stimulates the intrahepatic metabolism of cholesterol, produces a marked drop in blood cholesterol level. Eggplant contains substances which actually bind up cholesterol in the intestines and carry it out of the body so it can’t be absorbed. Aqueous extract of fruit is reported to inhibit choline esterase activity of human plasma. Purple color eggplants are high in anthocyanidins, a substance that lowers the risk of stroke and heart disease. Try to include in everyday routine thru different recipes. Adding more eggplant to diet seems to be a good way of preventing fatty buildup in heart.
Side Effects and Warnings
Leaves sometimes can show toxic effect, so use mostly externally for the treatment of burns, cold sores and abscesses. Seeds may induce constipation or dyspepsia. Baingan contain solanine, which can trigger allergic responses and pain in some allergy sufferers. Excessive eating may cause increased phosphates in the system which may lead into phosphate type kidney stones. In case of Rheumatism, eliminate brinjal from your diet, as it can cause joint problems.