How To Lose Weight at Home? | How to Lose Overweight Fast with Fletcherism? | How to Prevent Obesity? | What is obesity or Overweight? | How Obesity Impacts Personal and Social Life? | The Body Mass Index (BMI) Formula | Facts About Women Obesity | Effects of Obesity | What Causes Obesity? | Topics Related to How To Lose Weight at Home?
What is obesity or Overweight?
Obesity is also known as Motapa (Hindi/Urdu), Laththapana (Marathi), Utal paruman (Tamil), Feipang (Chinese), obesidad (Spanish), obesidade (Portuguese), Sthulata (Bengali), ozhireniye (Russian). Obesity is excessive deposition or storage of fat in adipose tissue, results from consumption of food in excess of physiological needs. It is a condition in which an individual is significantly overweight, and an excessive amount of body fat has accumulated under the chin and on the breasts, belly, buttocks, and/or thighs.
How Obesity Impacts Personal and Social Life?
Obesity is common among people in Western countries and among the higher income groups in developing countries. Extra fats puts a strain on the heart, kidneys and liver as well as the large weight-bearing joints such as the hips, knees and ankles, which ultimately shortens the life span. Obese individuals with an apple shape (fat in the upper body or abdomen) are at greater risk of medical diseases than those with a pear shape (fat confined to the lower body or hips). Over the past three decades, the proportion of obese adults has doubled from 15 percent to nearly 36 percent. The number of overweight children has tripled. More than 30 percent of children and adolescents are overweight or obese.
The Body Mass Index (BMI) Formula
The Body Mass Index (BMI) is reached by dividing your weight in pounds, multiplied by 703, by your height in inches. Ideal BMI is 20 – 25, Over wight BMI 25 – 30, Obese BMI is 30 + and Underweight BMI 20 or less. If you have a BMI of 27 or more, you double the risk of high blood pressure, heart disease, and gallstones, and are 14 times more likely to contract diabetes. If it is over 30, you have 4 times the risk of heart disease, high blood pressure, and gallstones, and are 30–50 times more likely to contract diabetes. You are also 4 times more likely to get degenerative arthritis.
Facts About Women Obesity
For most of the women obesity is liable to occur after pregnancy and at menopause. A woman usually gains about 12 kgs. weight during pregnancy. Part of this is an increase in the adipose tissue which serves as a store against the demands of lactation. Many women gain more and retain part of this weight. They become progressively obese with each succeeding child. Certain hereditary factors of the endocrine system, such as excess production of growth hormone, may contribute to the condition. Certain drugs, including steroids and oral contraceptives, can change the metabolism and produce weight gain, as can insulin. Addictions, including alcohol and cigarettes, are often associated with obesity. Obese women are more likely to be at risk from cancer of the ovaries, womb, and breast; obese men are at risk from cancer of the colon, rectum, and prostate.
Effects of Obesity
Obesity is disorder in which the gastric fire is strong, but the cellular fire in the tissue is relatively low. Whatever excess food or calories a person consumes are not burned and instead turn into adipose tissue, leading to overweight and obesity. Overweight persons are susceptible to several diseases like coronary thrombosis, heart failure, high blood pressure, diabetes, arthritis, gout and liver and gall-bladder disorders. It create diminished efficiency and a predisposition to diabetes, hypertension, low libido, arthritis and ultimately, obesity reduces happiness.
What Causes Obesity?
- The main cause of obesity is excessive intake of calories beyond the body’s energy requirement. Which is generally results from overeating.
- From an Ayurvedic point of view, there are 3 main causes of this condition – eating too much, sitting too much, and doing too little.
- Persons who are generally bored, unhappy, lonely or unloved, those who are discontented with their families, or social or financial standing usually tend to overeat as eating is a pleasure and solace to them.
- Obesity is sometimes also the result of disturbances of the thyroid or pituitary glands.
- A prosperous life, a sedentary job, and lack of exercise are the major contributors to obesity.
- Frequent munching between meals is also detrimental to maintaining a healthy weight.
- Psychological stress promotes weight gain for several reasons. The stress hormone cortisol and other stress induced hormones increase appetite. Moreover, cortisol pushes us toward high calorie foods. This hormone also promotes deposition of visceral fat. Chronic stress depletes those feel-good chemicals called endorphins and the brain chemical dopamine, which is associated with pleasure.
- Eating delicious food releases endorphins and dopamine, making us feel better. It’s no surprise that recurrent stress promotes compulsive overeating.
How To Lose Weight at Home?
14 Best ways how to lose weight at home? to get rid of excessive fats and weight.
- Easy Home Treatment: For any home treatment, balanced selection of foods is very important, which provide the maximum essential nutrients with the least number of calories. Cut the word diet from your vocabulary, as in “going on a diet.” The word derives from the Latin diaeta, which means “daily routine.” What you want is a pattern of eating that makes you look and feel good. if you embark on a restrictive “diet,” you will probably feel deprived. When eating out, another useful tip is to look for main courses that are roasted, baked, or steamed. Choose vegetable side dishes rather than fries.
- Effective Remedy for Obesity: Honey is very effective for obesity. Start with 10 grams of honey with hot water. Increase the dose gradually. Honey mobilizes the extra deposited fat in the body and puts it into circulation which is utilized as energy for normal functions.
- Special Tip for Overweight: According to Ayurveda, the best policy regarding meals, if you are overweight, is to skip breakfast entirely, then take your biggest meal at noon. Supper should be light. Don’t snack between the two meals. If you can’t skip breakfast, then take main meal early in the day. Have a light lunch and a lighter supper or skip supper if possible. Push away from the table sooner. It takes your stomach 20 minutes to register the fact that it’s full. Don’t wait for that delayed response. If you’ve ceased to be hungry, take a break.
- Regulate Metabolism: Nettles are good diuretics and generally help the metabolism. Try drinking nettle tea before meals.
- Fasting without Loss of Energy: Fasting on honey – lime juice water is highly beneficial in the treatment of obesity without the loss of energy and appetite. Take one spoon of fresh honey mixed with a juice of half a lime in a glass of lukewarm water and taken at regularly intervals.
- Reduce Fats Naturally: To treat obesity as well as liver and spleen disorders, thoroughly wash some copper pennies and boil them in a quart of water (or boil a quart of water in a copper vessel) until half the water remains. Take 2 teaspoons of this copper water 3 times a day for a month. It is also helpful to buy a copper drinking glass, fill it every night with pure water, and drink the water in the morning. Copper reduces fat. It is also a good tonic for the liver, spleen, and lymphatic system and helps in curing anemia.
- Drink a glass of freshly squeezed grapefruit juice every morning to cleanse, help break down fats, and suppress appetite.
- Simple Trick with Lemons: Another effective remedy for obesity is an exclusive lemon juice diet. On the first day take nothing but plenty of water. On the second day mix juice of three lemons with equal amount of water. Increase one lemon each day until it reaches to the juice of 12 lemons per day. Then start decreasing the number of lemons in the same order until it reaches to three lemons in a day. You may feel weak and hungry on the first two days, but afterwards the condition will be stabilize by itself.
- Indian Herbal Formula: Here is an herbal formula that will help you lose weight. Mix together kutki, chitrak, shilajit, and punarnava in 3:3:2:5 ratio. Take 1/2 teaspoon of this mixture twice a day with 1 teaspoon honey, before meals.
- Avoid Weight Gain: Get enough sleep. Sleep deprivation leads to changes in nervous system function, hormone release, and inflammatory chemicals that increase hunger, decrease satiety, and favor visceral fat deposition. People also are less likely to exercise when they feel tired. Studies have linked chronic sleep deprivation, night-shift work, jet lag, and nocturnal behaviors (eating late, going to bed late, and arising late) with weight gain.
- Loose Weight: Cabbage is an effective home remedy for obesity, as it contains tartroric acid which inhibits the conversion of sugar and other carbohydrates into fat Hence, it is of great value in weight reduction. A helping of cabbage salad would be the simplest way to stay slim, a painless way of dieting.
- Melt Fats: Those who can’t control eating – whenever you become hungry, drink a cup of hot water with 1 teaspoon honey and 10 drops of lime juice added. This will be a good substitute for eating and will help to melt the fat.
- Bhastrika pranayama (Breath of Fire) will increase the rate at which your body burns off fat.
- Chinese Herbalism: Increase your intake of foods that are bitter, pungent, astringent, and hot, which will encourage your body to eliminate waste more efficiently. Cut down on salty, sweet, and sour foods.
How to Lose Overweight Fast with Fletcherism?
Fletcherism is discovered by Horace Fletcher. Try Fletcherism to reduce some pounds within six months for sure. It is consist of 4 main, simple rules:
- Chew your food to a pulp or milky liquid until it practically swallows itself.
- Never eat until hungry.
- Enjoy every bite or morsel, savoring the flavor until it is swallowed.
- Do not eat when tired, angry, worried, and at meal-time refuse to think or talk about unpleasant subjects.
How to Prevent Obesity?
Apart from above mentioned ways about how to lose weight at home?, here are few tips to prevent overweight.
- Store food out of sight. Experiments show that when candy is placed prominently in offices (rather than tucked away in a drawer), people tend to eat more of it.
- Exercise is an important part of weight reduction plan. Choose your favorite activity from running, swimming, rowing and other outdoor sports.
- Try sauna baths, steam bath and heavy massage as per your convenience, as they help to reduce weight.
- Excessive drinking cold drinks and eating fatty fried foods, dairy products such as cheese, yogurt, and ice cream, and consuming excess sugar and carbohydrates can cause over weight.
- Don’t sleep during the day. Daytime sleep slows down metabolism.
- In between meals, if you like to munch, eat raisins, which are a mild laxative. Don’t eat corn chips, which are salty and fatty and difficult to stop eating; don’t eat popcorn either. You might also try celery sticks or carrot sticks.
- Eat fresh fruit rather than fruit juice or dried fruit. Because they are higher in water (and are therefore more filling), 2/3 cup of juicy grapes slakes hunger better than 1/4 cup of raisins, even though both pack 100 calories. Fruit juice is packed with sugar naturally contained in fruit but without the hunger satisfying fiber.
- People who have high cholesterol or who suffer from obesity should be cautious about using ghee (clarified butter).