Gray Hair Home Remedies – How to Make White Hair Black Naturally Without Dye? | What Causes White Hair? | What Causes of Premature Graying of Hair at Early Age? | Topics Related to Gray Hair Home Remedies
Are you looking for ways to stop or reverse premature greying of your hair? You’re not alone. Premature greying of hair can be a major cause of concern for many people, particularly those in their twenties and thirties. The good news is that there are a few remedies that you can explore to help prevent or even reverse the process. In this post, we will discuss some of the most common remedies for premature greying of hair, including dietary changes, lifestyle modifications, and natural remedies. We will also discuss the potential risks associated with each remedy and provide you with some tips for making the most of each approach. By the end of this post, you’ll have a better understanding of how to prevent and reverse premature greying of hair.
What are Gray Hair?
Graying of Hair is also known as (Scientific Binomial Name), White Hair (Common English), (Unani), Saphed Baal / Safed Bal (Hindi / Urdu), Campal muti (Tamil), Bhure / Pandhare Kes / Kes Pikane (Marathi), (Sanskrit), Dhusara cula (Bengali), Gre heyir (Telugu), Gre her (Kannada), naracca muti (Malayalam), Toufa huabai (Chinese), Pelo gris (Spanish), cabelo cinza (Portuguese), sedyye volosy (Russian).
White Hair Facts
The hair has a tendency to lose its natural color with advancing age. It is therefore natural for the hair to turn white with age. But premature graying is a morbid condition and it makes even the young look older. This causes a great deal of concern to affected persons, especially women. The hair is an appendage of the skin. It is composed of the same kind of cells as are found in the outer layer of the skin, known as epidermis. It grows from a hair follicle which is a deep recess in the epidermis. The sebaceous glands of the scalp secrete an oily substance called sebum, which is the source of nutrition, luster and blackness of the hair. The hair cannot be fed externally, for such nourishment as the scalp requires must come to it from the bloodstream.
What Causes of Premature Graying of Hair at Early Age?
A faulty diet and mental worries are the two primary causes of premature graying of hair. Grey hair at early age is getting common these days. It is mainly due to the lack of B vitamins, iron, copper and iodine in the daily diet. Unclean condition of the scalp can also be the reason for premature preying of hair. It makes roots of the hair weak, pores gets block by dirt. Washing the hair with hot water and drying them with electric dryers is also responsible for grey hair. As hair dryers emit a blast of hot air. Do not use factory made hair oils. Some of the factories are using acids to wash oils. And some of the acids have a tendency to remain in the oil.
Is gray hair caused by stress?
Mental worries produce an extraordinary tension in the skin of the scalp which interferes with the supply of vital nutrition necessary for the health of the hair. Similarly, anxieties, fear, jealousy and failures have adverse effects on the hair. They dry out the scapular marrow, the vital sap at the root of the hair. Heredity is another predisposing factor which gives rise to this ailment. Diseases like chronic cold, sinusitis, anemia, chronic constipation are also responsible for grey hair.
Home Remedies for Gray Hair. How to Make White Hair Black Naturally Without Dye?
How to make white hair black naturally without dye? Here are 11 best home remedies for gray hair. Certain home remedies are useful in the prevention and treatment of premature greying of hair.
- Black Hair Folk Remedy: Buff your fingernails against each other in a circular motion. Do this five minutes at a time, three times daily. This sure beats biting your nails and is also helps slow down hair loss and graying.
- Avoid Harmful Things: Don’t drink alcohol. Excessive drinking often causes premature graying of hair due to vitamin deficiency.
- Indian Gooseberry Natural Solution: Amla – Indian gooseberry is a valuable hair tonic for enriching hair growth and hair pigmentation. Cut the fruit into pieces and dry, preferably in the shade. Boil these pieces in coconut oil till solid matter become little charred dust. This darkish oil is very useful in preventing greying. The water in which dried amla pieces are soaked overnight is Indian gooseberry (amla) is considered highly beneficial in the treatment of premature graying of hair and also nourishing to the hair. Use it for the last rinse while washing the hair. Massaging the scalp with a teaspoonful of amla juice mixed with a teaspoonful of almond oil or few drops of lime juice, every night has proved beneficial in the prevention and treatment of premature graying of hair.
- Darkening Gray Hair: Make your own home version of Grecian formula for gray hair. It is a lot safer to use because it’s free of chemicals and only contains natural ingredients. In a heavy ceramic mixing bowl put 2 heaping tbsp. of dried sage and the same amount again of either orange pekoe or black tea. Then fill the bowl or jar half full of boiling water. Cover with a small dinner plate or aluminum foil and place in a moderately warm oven or in a large pan of boiling water on top of the stove on a low setting for at least a couple of hours. Then remove, allow to cool, stir well and strain. Now rub a small quantity of this infusion into the roots of the hair 4 – 5 times a week. Pretty soon the grayness will start fading away as the hair becomes darker in color once more. Thereafter, use this infusion just once or twice weekly for maintenance purposes only. Many of those who’ve tried this for themselves have experienced moderate hair growth in bald places or at the very least, an overall improvement in the tone and texture of their hair. To increase the shelf life of this infusion, add 3 tbsp. of either gin or rum to it.
- Clear Dandruff: Apple cider vinegar kills a variety of fungi and bacteria and hence is useful as a home remedy for dandruff. Mix one part water with one part apple cider vinegar. Apply as a rinse after you shampoo.
- Curry Leaves to Stop White Hair: Take liberal intake of curry leaves as it beneficial in preventing premature graying of hair. These have the property to give vitality and strength to hair roots. New hair roots that grow are healthier with normal pigment. Use leaves in the form of chutney or squeeze them in butter milk or lassi. To stimulate hair growth and bring back hair pigmentation, curry leaves makes an excellent hair tonic. Simply, boil curry leaves in coconut oil to make this DIY hair oil.
- Prevent Premature Graying: The butter made from cow’s milk has the property to prevent premature graying of hair. Take a small roll internally and massage a little quantity into the hair root twice a week.
- Tested Home Treatment: Ribbed gourd, known as torai in the vernacular, boiled in coconut oil is another effective remedy for premature graying of hair. Dry pieces of this vegetable in the shade. Soak these dried pieces in coconut oil and keep aside for three or four days. Boil the oil till the solid reduces to a blackened residue. Massage this oil into the scalp. It will help enrich the hair roots and restore pigment to the hair.
- Good Vitamins and Minerals: Diet is of utmost importance in the prevention and treatment of premature graying of hair. So persons suffering from this disorder should take a diet rich in all essential nutrients. The vitamins considered useful in premature graying of hair are pantothenic acid, para aminobenzoic acid or PABA and inositol. The minimum daily requirement of these vitamins is 10 mg. of pantothenic acid, 100 gm. of para-aminobenzoic acid and 2000 mg. of inositol. To obtain satisfactory results, all three of these vitamins, belonging to B group, should be supplied at one time preferably in a form which gives all B vitamins, such as yeast, wheat germ and liver. The three anti-grey hair vitamins can be produced in the intestinal tract by bacteria. Thus drinking a liter of yogurt daily with a tablespoon of yeast before each meal will be an excellent remedy.
- Natural Herbal Hair Dye: Boiling paste of henna leaves in coconut oil is natural remedy to get a darkish oil. Use it as a hair dye to blacken white hair. Apply this paste to the hair and wash after a few hours to dye the white hair. Wash the hair with concentrated tea extract twice a week, as it is also useful in coloring white hair to brown or black.
- Easy and Simple Remedy: Spend about 20 minutes daily lying on a slant board to allow increased blood flow to the scalp. You can also consider yoga postures such as the shoulder stand or headstands as they improve blood flow to the scalp. However, these are advance yoga poses and do not try to attempt unless you are familiar with yoga.
- Gray Hair Gone with Walnut: Walnut makes a great hair mask to remove dye grey hair and makes them look dark and brown. Take 1 1/4 cups each of bruised walnut husks and coarsely chopped leaves and soak them both in a gallon of spring water for 24 hrs. Pour the soak water into a large saucepan. Boil until the liquid is reduce by half the original amount. Cool and strain the liquid. Add 1 1/8 tbsp. of either perfume or gin, bottle and store in pantry cupboard. Put a small amount hair daily with a sponge, wherever there are gray until they get darker color. The only drawback to this is that, everything the dye touched, including hair scalp, turns somewhat dark as well.
Q. What are the main causes for gray hair?
- Aging: As people age, their hair follicles produce less melanin (the pigment responsible for hair color), leading to gray hair.
- Genes: Genetics can play a role in how much melanin is produced and when the graying process begins.
- Stress: Stress can cause an increase in the hormone cortisol, which can lead to gray hair.
- Vitamins and minerals: A lack of certain vitamins and minerals in the body can also lead to gray hair.
- Smoking: Smoking can also contribute to gray hair, as it affects the body’s ability to absorb essential vitamins and minerals.
Q. Does exercising regularly stop grey hair?
No, exercising regularly will not stop grey hair. Grey hair is caused by a natural aging process and is genetic.
Q. I have premature grey hair at 14. What can I do?
Unfortunately, there is no proven way to reverse grey hair at this time. However, there are some things you can do to help manage your grey hair. You can dye your hair to cover up the grey, or use products specifically designed for grey hair. If you do choose to dye your hair, be sure to use a dye that is safe for young hair. Additionally, you can use a cleansing treatment for your scalp to help nourish and strengthen your hair. Finally, you can also try taking B vitamins or supplements that are known to aid in hair growth.
Q. Do herbal shampoos work on reducing grey hairs?
Herbal shampoos may help to reduce grey hairs, but only when used in combination with other treatments such as dietary changes and vitamin supplements. In some cases, they may even help to reverse the process of greying. However, it is important to remember that there is no single treatment that can completely stop the greying process.
Q. Can using clarifying shampoo prevent grey hair?
No, using clarifying shampoo will not prevent grey hair. Grey hair is caused by a natural decrease in the production of melanin, which is responsible for the hair’s color. There is no evidence that clarifying shampoo can prevent or reverse the natural process of greying.
Q. Which plant can treat a grey hair problem?
Henna is a popular natural remedy for grey hair. It helps to darken the hair and can even help to reverse premature greying. Other natural options for treating grey hair include amla, gooseberry, and blackstrap molasses.
Q. What is a natural treatment for gray hair? Is there a way to color grey hair without dying it black?
- Coconut Oil Massage: Massage your scalp with coconut oil regularly to nourish your hair and reduce the appearance of grey hair.
- Amla: Make a paste of amla (Indian gooseberry) with lemon juice and apply it on your scalp. Leave it on for about an hour and then wash it off.
- Onion Juice: Massage your scalp with onion juice mixed with lemon juice. This helps to darken your hair naturally.
- Hibiscus: Make a paste of hibiscus petals and gooseberry powder and apply it on your scalp. Leave it on overnight and wash it off in the morning.
- Curry Leaves: Boil curry leaves in coconut oil and massage your scalp with the oil. This helps to prevent premature greying.
- Fenugreek Seeds: Soak fenugreek seeds in water overnight and grind them into a paste. Apply this paste on your scalp and leave it on for an hour before washing it off.
Q. Is gray hair reversible with vitamins and minerals?
No, gray hair is not reversible with vitamins and minerals. While vitamins and minerals can be beneficial for hair health, they cannot reverse the natural process of graying.
Q. How can I avoid white hair naturally? How do I prevent gray hair in the early stage?
- Eat a balanced diet: Eating a balanced diet rich in vitamins and minerals can help to prevent gray hair in the early stages. Foods such as dark green leafy vegetables, blueberries, nuts and seeds are especially beneficial.
- Reduce stress: Stress can be a major cause of premature gray hairs. Therefore, it is important to try to reduce stress levels in your life. Practice relaxation techniques such as yoga, meditation, or tai chi to help manage stress.
- Avoid over-processing: Over-processing your hair with harsh chemicals can lead to hair damage and premature gray hair. Avoid using too much heat or chemical treatments such as bleaching or coloring your hair.
- Use natural oils: Natural oils such as coconut oil and castor oil can help nourish the scalp and hair follicles, preventing premature gray hair. Massage the oils into the scalp and hair regularly.
- Get enough sleep: Make sure to get enough sleep every night to help keep stress levels low and your body functioning optimally.
Q. Do parents pass down genes for gray hair to their children?
Yes, parents can pass down genes for gray hair to their children. Gray hair is a trait that can be inherited from either parent.
Q. Why do some people’s gray hairs become yellow instead of white by age?
Gray hairs, or white hairs, turn yellow due to the accumulation of pigment in the hair shaft. As a person ages, melanin production slows down and the hair follicles become smaller, resulting in the hair turning gray. This can also cause the melanin that is still present to become more concentrated, resulting in the yellowing of the hair.
Q. Does hot oil cause white hair?
No, hot oil does not cause white hair. White hair is a natural part of the aging process and is caused by a decrease in the production of melanin, the pigment responsible for giving hair its color. There is no scientific evidence to suggest that hot oil has any effect on the production of melanin or can cause white hair.
Q. Do people with more white hair tend to live longer than those who have less white hair?
There is no scientific evidence that suggests that having more white hair is related to living longer. However, because gray hair is often associated with aging, people with more white hair may appear to be older than they actually are, which could lead to them being perceived as living longer.
Q. Can white hairs be turned into black again naturally? Can white hair be turned black without damaging it?
No, white hairs cannot be turned into black again naturally. However, there are certain treatments, such as hair dyes, that can be used to dye white hairs and make them appear black.
Q. What happens when you pluck out a white hair?
When you pluck out a white hair, it will simply grow back. Plucking out white hairs will not affect the rate of hair growth, nor will it lead to more white hairs.
Q. Does plucking out or cutting grey hair result in more growing back?
No, plucking out or cutting grey hair does not result in more growing back. Once a hair has gone grey, it will not turn back to its original color.
Q. Can henna stains be removed from white hair permanently?
No, henna stains cannot be removed from white hair permanently. They may fade over time, but they will not disappear completely.