What Exactly is Snoring?
Snoring is the rough, rattling, grunting sound, sometimes thunderous sound that occurs when a person’s breathing is partially obstructed while sleeping. This can happen when muscles in the roof of the mouth, tongue, and throat relax. Snoring is also known as kharate (Hindi/Urdu), ghorane (Marathi), Kurattai (Tamil), Guraka (Telugu), kurkkanvali (Malayalam), Dahan (Chinese), ronquidos (Spanish), ronco (Portuguese), Naka daka (Bengali), khrap (Russian), Keruh (Indonesian). This can happen when muscles in the roof of the mouth, tongue, and throat relax. As air flows past, these relaxed tissues vibrate, which creates the irritating noises. Habitual snoring, especially if marked by episodes of breath holding, can be a sign of a serious condition. Infrequent light snoring, such as that caused by temporary nasal congestion, is less serious. The following remedies may help.
Home Remedies to Stop Snoring
7 Effective Stop Snoring Natural Treatment. Home Remedies to stop snoring, grunting sound and sleep well in night. Nasal strips, weight management, pillows, tennis ball and Pranayama – not only this much but so many other options are there to stop habitual snoring immediately.
- Keep Neck Straight: Try a different pillow, one that lifts your head while keeping your neck relatively straight. This may alleviate minor blocking of your airways caused by sagging muscles in your mouth and throat.
- Keep Weight Under Control: Excessive weight gain may result into snoring. Keep your weight under control.
- Tennis Ball Trick: When you sleep on your back, your tongue and soft palate (the soft area on the roof of your mouth) may move down as they relax, contacting the back of your throat. Sleeping on your side helps prevent this. If you’ve been a back sleeper most of your life, however, changing position isn’t easy. Try the tennis ball trick: Sew a pouch on the back of a T-shirt or pajama top and tuck a tennis ball inside. Whenever you start to roll onto your back, the bulge of the tennis ball may encourage you to stay on your side.
- Spread Nostrils with Strips: Those nasal strips football players wear do actually help to spread the nostrils and increase airflow through the nose. Available at most drugstores, they are worth a try.
- Avoid Airway Blocking: Smoking and alcohol can cause snoring. Smoke can cause airway blocking.
- Clear Allergy Congestion: If you have allergies that are causing congestion, they can make snoring much worse. Wash your sheets frequently in hot water, and zip up your pillow in an allergen-blocking case. Vacuum and dust your bedroom at least once a week. And keep your pets off the bed.
- Breathing Control With Yoga: Pranayama is a type of yoga exercise dedicated to learning how to control your breathing and is an incredible technique for relaxation. Pranayama has been used to relieve various sleep disorders, including sleep apnea. Practice bhasrika and anulom vilom pranayam regularly.