This post will discuss the health benefits of almond and why they are such an important part of a healthy diet. We will look at the different types of almond available, their nutritional content, and how they can be incorporated into meals or snacks. We will also discuss the potential health risks associated with eating almond and provide tips on how to incorporate them into your diet safely. Finally, we will provide some delicious recipes featuring almonds that you can try at home.
Raw Almond Nutritional Value and Calories Chart
Almonds are a great source of many essential nutrients and minerals, including vitamin E, L-Tyrosine, vitamin B2 – Riboflavin, protein, fat, carbohydrates, dietary fiber, calcium, oxalic acid, phosphorus, iron, thiamine, nicotinic acid, magnesium, and zinc. Almonds comes in 2 varieties sweet and bitter. The bitter almond is poisonous and should be used for external purposes only. As per the Ayurvedic concept, dry fruits generally provide nutrition and vital energy to the body. Out of all dry fruits, almond is said to provide maximum benefit. Nutritional value per 100 g almonds:
- Biotin: 0.4 µg
- Calcium: 264 mg
- Carbohydrates (Carbs): 21 g
- Chloride: 44 mg
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
- Choline: 16.6 mg
- Chromium: 6.5 µg
- Copper: 0.5 mg
- Dietary Fiber: 3.5 g
- Energy (Calories): 578 kcal
- Fat: 49.9 g
- Iodine: 2.7 µg
- Iron: 3.3 mg
- Magnesium: 210 mg
- Manganese: 0.9 mg
- Molybdenum: 7.6 µg
- Pantothenic Acid: 0.6 mg
- Phosphorus: 415 mg
- Potassium: 700 mg
- Protein: 21 g
- Saturated fat: 3.2 g
- Selenium: 2.6 µg
- Sodium: 2 mg
- Sugars: 4.3 g
- Vitamin A: 0 IU
- Vitamin B1 (Thiamin): 0.2 mg
- Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin): 0.2 mg
- Vitamin B3 (Niacin): 1.3 mg
- Vitamin B5 (Pantothenic Acid): 0.6 mg
- Vitamin B6: 0.2 mg
- Vitamin B9 (Folate / Folic Acid): 57 µg
- Vitamin B12: 0 µg
- Vitamin C: 0 mg
- Vitamin D: 0 IU
- Vitamin E: 26.2 mg
- Vitamin K: 4.1 µg
- Water: 4.2 g
- Zinc: 1.2 mg
Whole Almond Health Benefits
For the ancient Greeks, the almond was a symbol of love and truth. They believed in its supernatural power. Therefore, the Romans called it the Greek nut. Almonds are good for bronchitis, spermatorrhoea, cold, cough, catarrh, asthma, insomnia, kidney disorders, biliary ducts and many other diseases. In Indian medicine, almonds are considered highly nutritious, demulcent and stimulant nervine tonic. They are also considered diuretic.
- Almond is an effective health-building food, for both body and mind. To enhance their assimilation, almonds are taken in combination with other spices such as black pepper, turmeric, and cardamom.
- For delaying premature ejaculation, soak one almond kernel in water, and form a paste. To this paste add the powder of 4–5 black peppers, 2 g ginger powder and sugar as per taste. Lick this mixture, followed by milk for 60 days.
- Eating six black peppers with four almonds once a day with milk is a nervine tonic.
- For bronchial problems, and strengthening the male urino-genital system, take almond kernel, ashwagandha, pippli, in equal quantities, with milk, sugar and honey.
- For constipation, grind separately five almonds and five dried dates and mix with 10 teaspoons of honey. Take three teaspoons of this mixture twice a day.
Almond milk is a plant-based milk made from ground almonds and water. It is a popular alternative to dairy milk, providing a creamy texture and nutty flavor. It is naturally dairy-free, vegan, and free of cholesterol and saturated fats. Almond milk is also a good source of calcium, vitamins, and minerals.
Almond milk is a nutritious, low-calorie alternative to regular cow’s milk. A 100 ml serving of unsweetened original almond milk contains the following nutrients:
- Calories: 39
- Total Fat: 2.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.3 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
- Sodium: 131 mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 1.4 g
- Dietary Fiber: 0.1 g
- Sugars: 0.6 g
- Protein: 1.4 g
- Vitamin A: 0%
- Vitamin C: 0%
- Calcium: 450 mg
- Iron: 1.1 mg
How To Make Almond Milk at Home?
- Soak 1/2 cup of raw almonds overnight in a bowl of cold water.
- Drain and rinse the almonds and place them in a blender with 4 cups of fresh cold water.
- Blend the almonds and water for 2-3 minutes until the almonds are completely blended and the liquid is smooth and creamy.
- Strain the mixture through a fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth into a bowl.
- Add 1-2 tablespoons of sweetener or flavorings (such as vanilla, honey, maple syrup, or dates) to the milk and stir until completely combined.
- Serve the almond milk or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
What Are Health Benefits of Almond Milk?
Almond milk typically contains around 25-30 nutrients, including vitamins A, D, E, and B-12, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, and potassium. Almond milk and cow’s milk differ in several ways. Cow’s milk is a natural source of protein, calcium, and other nutrients, while almond milk is not. Cow’s milk is higher in calories and fat than almond milk. Milk from cow contains lactose, while almond milk is lactose-free. Cow’s milk is also a good source of vitamin D, while almond milk is not.
- Low in Calories: Almond milk is much lower in calories than dairy milk, which makes it a great alternative for those who are trying to manage their weight.
- Heart-Healthy: Almond milk is a good source of healthy fats, including omega-3 fatty acids. These healthy fats help to keep your heart healthy and reduce your risk of heart disease.
- High in Vitamin E: Almond milk is a great source of vitamin E, which is an important antioxidant. Vitamin E can help protect your cells from damage and may help reduce your risk of certain diseases.
- Low in Sugar: Almond milk has very little sugar, which makes it a great alternative to sugary beverages.
- High in Calcium: Almond milk is an excellent source of calcium, which is essential for strong bones and teeth.
- High in Protein: Almond milk is a good source of plant-based protein, which can help build and maintain muscle.
Almond butter is a spread made from ground almonds. It is a popular alternative to peanut butter and is used in a similar manner. It is usually creamy or crunchy in texture and may be flavored with ingredients such as honey, chocolate, and cinnamon. Almond butter is a good source of protein, fiber, healthy fats, and essential vitamins and minerals.
How To Make Almond Butter At Home?
- Start by roasting the almonds. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spread raw almonds on a baking sheet in an even layer and roast for 8-10 minutes.
- Allow the almonds to cool and then transfer them to a food processor. Pulse the almonds until they start to break down.
- Add 2-3 tablespoons of oil (coconut oil, olive oil, or avocado oil work best) to the food processor and blend for several minutes until the almond butter is smooth and creamy.
- Add a pinch of salt and any other desired flavorings, such as honey, cinnamon, or cocoa powder, and blend again until everything is well combined.
- Transfer the almond butter to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to one month.
Almond flour is a gluten-free flour made from ground almonds. It is used as a substitute for other flours in baking and is a popular alternative for those with gluten-intolerance or celiac disease. Almond flour is high in protein and fiber and is a good source of vitamin E, magnesium, and monounsaturated fats. It is also low in carbohydrates and has a mild flavor. Some common substitutes for almond flour include coconut flour, cashew flour, sunflower seed flour, hazelnut flour, and chickpea flour.
How To Make Almond Flour At Home?
- Place 1 cup of raw almonds in a food processor and pulse until they are ground into a fine meal.
- Check the texture of the ground almonds to ensure that there are no large pieces remaining.
- Spread the almond meal on a baking sheet and bake at 350°F for 8-10 minutes.
- Cool the almond meal completely before transferring to a blender or food processor.
- Blend the almond meal in the food processor or blender until it forms a fine powder.
- Store the almond flour in an airtight container in a cool, dry place.
Almond Flour Health Benefits
Almond flour, made from the residue left after expressing almond oil and almond butter, is used for the preparation of diabetic food. Both flour and butter are free from starch and used in foods for diabetics and for patients with peptic ulcers.
Almond oil is also known as Raughan-e-Baadaam Shireen, used in insomnia. The oil of almonds makes smooth hands and face of delicate. It is a light, non-greasy oil produced from pressing almond kernels. It has a light, nutty aroma and is used in a variety of cosmetics and skin care products, including massage oil, facial moisturizers and bath oils. Almond oil is also often used as a carrier oil for essential oils. It is beneficial for both skin and hair health. Its high content of vitamin E makes it an especially good choice for nourishing and protecting skin.
Almond Oil Health Benefits
- Rich in Vitamin E: Almond oil is high in vitamin E, which is a powerful antioxidant that helps protect cells from damage. This can help reduce the signs of aging such as fine lines and wrinkles.
- Heart Health: Almond oil is rich in monounsaturated fats, which have been linked to a lower risk of heart disease.
- Skin Health: Almond oil can help keep skin hydrated and smooth. It is often used as an ingredient in lotions, creams, and other skin care products. Almond oil can help reduce the appearance of dark circles, but it is not a cure. It can help improve skin tone and elasticity, as well as reduce puffiness, which can make dark circles less noticeable. However, you may need to use almond oil in combination with other treatments to fully reduce the appearance of dark circles. Sweet almond oil is a super emollient for chapped, “dishpan” hands, diaper rash, herpes sores, shingles, psoriasis and lupus erythematosus. Just mix the juice of 1 lemon and lime with 4 tbsps. of oil and rub on thoroughly. Even helps to whiten or lighten dark skin somewhat.
- Hair Health: Almond oil can help nourish and strengthen hair. It is often used as an ingredient in shampoos and conditioners. Almond oil can be directly used on hair. It is an excellent source of Vitamin E, which helps nourish and protect the hair. It can be used as a hair care product, deep conditioner, hot oil treatment, or scalp massage oil. It can also be used as a styling product to help smooth and add shine to hair.
- Anti-inflammatory: Almond oil has anti-inflammatory properties, which can help reduce swelling and soothe irritated skin.
- Stomach Health: The oil newly pressed out of sweet almonds is a mitigator of pain and all manner of aches, therefore it is good in pleurisy and colic.
- Whooping Cough: Almond oil is valuable in whooping cough. It should be given mixed with 10 drops each of fresh white onion juice and ginger juice, daily thrice for a fortnight. It will give relief.
- Bitter almonds contain amygdalin or laetrile (vitamin B17), and the oil contains mostly benzaldehyde, the same anti-cancer factor found in figs and mushrooms.
Betulinic acid showed potent antiproliferative activity toward human breast cancer cells, higher than the anticancer drug. Recent studies says that almond extracts have been characterized for their effects against cancer and cardiovascular disease. Almonds in the daily diet may elevate the blood levels of high-density lipoproteins (HDL) while lowering levels of low-density lipoproteins (LDL), and these lipid-altering effects have been associated with the interactive or additive effects of the numerous bioactive constituents found in almonds.
The soaking process softens the almond and increases its nutritional content. Soaked almonds are easier to digest and have a milder flavor than dried raw almonds. They also contain more vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Soaked almonds can be beneficial because they contain vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and fiber. Soaking them in water helps to activate the enzymes and break down phytic acid, which makes the nutrients easier to digest. It can also help to reduce the bitterness of the almonds and make them softer and easier to chew. Soaking them can also reduce their fat content, making them a healthier snack option. Soaked almonds are generally considered healthier than dried raw almonds because soaking them helps to remove their outer skins which contain anti-nutrients, such as tannins, which can inhibit the absorption of vitamins and minerals. Soaked almonds are also softer and easier to digest, and they contain more vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants than their dry counterparts. Additionally, soaking almonds helps to make them more alkaline, which can benefit overall digestion and health.
Soaked Almonds Health Benefits
Soaking almonds in water and peeling the skins off before eating them helps to make the almonds easier to digest and can boost the absorption of vitamins and minerals. Eating the skin can be harmless, but it can also contain toxins and compounds that can interfere with nutrient absorption. Additionally, some people may be allergic to the almond skin. For these reasons, it is generally recommended to soak and peel the skins off of almonds before eating them. According to Indian Ayurveda, eating soaked dry almonds in the morning can provide a range of health benefits. These include:
- Improved digestion: Soaked almonds can help break down food in the stomach and aid in digestion.
- Lower cholesterol: The high levels of monounsaturated fats and omega-3 fatty acids in soaked almonds can help reduce cholesterol levels.
- Weight management: The high content of dietary fiber in soaked almonds can help you feel fuller for longer, making it easier to maintain a healthy weight.
- Improved brain health: The vitamin E, omega-3 fatty acids, and antioxidants in soaked almonds can help improve cognitive function.
- Improved heart health: Eating soaked almonds can help lower bad cholesterol and reduce the risk of heart disease.
Q. What are some best ways to eat almonds?
Here are few ways to eat almonds so as to get maximum benefits of it.
- Eat almonds with the skin on. Almonds with their skin intact are more nutrient-dense than shelled almonds.
- Eat almonds as a snack. Almonds make a great snack because they are high in protein, fiber, and healthy fats.
- Use almonds in recipes. Almonds can be used to make everything from smoothies to salads to baked goods.
- Sprinkle almond slices on top of dishes. Toasted almond slices can add a nutty crunch to just about any meal.
- Enjoy a handful of almonds as a healthy snack. Eating a handful of almonds is a great way to get a boost of energy and nutrition.
- Try almond butter. Almond butter is packed with healthy fats and can be used in a variety of ways.
- Utilize almond flour. Almond flour is a great alternative to traditional wheat flour and can be used in a variety of recipes.
Q. What are different types and verities of almonds available?
- California: These are the most commonly available almonds in the United States. They are large, light in color, and have a mild flavor.
- Spanish: These are smaller, darker, and sweeter than California almonds.
- Marcona: These almonds are originally from Spain and are considered a delicacy. They are slightly sweeter than California almonds.
- Kashmiri: Kashmiri almonds are a type of almond grown in the Indian region of Kashmir. They are known for their sweet taste and crunchy texture. They are usually consumed raw or roasted and are used in a variety of dishes. Kashmiri almonds are a popular ingredient in Indian cuisine and are used to make desserts, gravies, curries and snacks. They can also be ground into a paste and used as a topping or filling in pastries.
- Mamra: Mamra almond is a type of almond that is native to Iran. It is a large, sweet almond with a light brown color, and it has a rich, nutty flavor. Mamra almonds are most commonly used in baking, confectionery, and in desserts. They can also be eaten on their own as a snack.
- Gurbandi: Gurbandi almonds are a type of sweet almond variety grown in the region of Balochistan, Pakistan. These almonds have a unique flavor and texture, with a sweet, nutty taste and a crunchy texture. They are commonly used in Indian and Pakistani cuisine, and are often eaten raw, roasted, or as an ingredient in desserts.
Other popular varieties includes – Amaretto, Nonpareil, Caramelized, Jordan, Valencia, Mission, Butternut, Padova and American almond.
Q. Is it healthy to drink the water in which almonds have been soaked? Are there benefits from drinking that water?
It is generally considered safe to drink the water in which almonds have been soaked. The water contains some of the nutrition from the almonds, including vitamins, minerals, and healthy fats. It may also contain some of the almond’s antioxidant properties. However, it is not clear if there are any real health benefits from drinking this water.
Q. What is almond water?
Almond water is a beverage made from almonds that is gaining popularity as a healthy alternative to sugary drinks. It is made by blending almonds and water and can be flavored with other ingredients such as honey, vanilla or cinnamon. Almond water is a source of protein and contains vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. It also has fewer calories than other drinks, making it a popular choice for those who are watching their weight.
Q. What is almond meal?
Almond meal is a finely ground flour made from blanched almonds. It is used in baking, as a thickener in sauces and soups, or as a topping for desserts. It contains fiber, protein, healthy fats, and vitamins and minerals, making it a nutritious addition to many recipes.
Q. Could almond milk be boiled?
Yes, almond milk can be boiled. However, it is important to note that boiling almond milk may cause it to separate and curdle. To prevent this, reduce the heat and stir continuously while boiling.
Q. Is almond milk safe for gastritis?
Almond milk is generally safe for people with gastritis. However, it should be consumed in moderation as some people may have a sensitivity to almonds. It is also important to note that some store-bought almond milks may contain added sugars, so it is important to read the label carefully before purchasing.
Q. How many almonds should I eat in a day?
The amount of almonds you should eat in a day depends on your individual needs and goals. In general, if you are aiming for a healthy diet, nutrition experts recommend eating 1-2 ounces of almonds per day. However, if you are trying to lose weight, you may want to limit your intake to a smaller portion.
Q. Which is healthier peanut butter or almond butter?
It depends on the type of peanut butter and almond butter you are comparing. Generally speaking, almond butter is healthier because it contains less saturated fat and more heart-healthy monounsaturated fat than peanut butter. It also has a higher content of certain vitamins and minerals, such as Vitamin E, magnesium and iron.
Q. Which is better, almonds or peanuts, in terms of nutrition ?
Both almonds and peanuts offer health benefits, but almonds come out ahead from a nutritional standpoint. Almonds are an excellent source of vitamin E, magnesium, and manganese, as well as being a good source of fiber, protein, and healthy fats. Peanuts, on the other hand, are a good source of protein, fiber, and healthy fats, but they lack the same level of vitamins and minerals that almonds provide.
Q. How much almond butter per day is good for weight loss?
It is recommended to limit your daily intake of almond butter to two tablespoons for weight loss. Consuming more than two tablespoons per day can contribute to excess calorie intake, which can lead to weight gain.
Q. Is it true or a just a myth that eating almonds improves memory power of the brain?
There is some evidence that eating almonds can improve memory power, but more research is needed to confirm this. Almonds are a good source of vitamin E, which is an antioxidant that may help protect brain cells from damage. Additionally, almonds are high in healthy fatty acids, which can help improve cognitive function.
Q. Which is healthier: almond milk or coconut milk?
It depends on the individual’s health needs. Almond milk is lower in calories and fat than coconut milk, but it is also lower in vitamins and minerals. Coconut milk is higher in calories and fat, but it is also higher in vitamins and minerals. It also contains lauric acid, which may have health benefits.
Q. Which is more nutritious and healthier: almond milk or soy milk?
Almond milk is lower in calories and carbohydrates than soy milk, but is also lower in protein. Soyabean milk is higher in calcium, potassium, and certain B vitamins. Additionally, almond milk is lactose-free, while soy milk contains some lactose. Soy milk is also higher in healthy fats, while almond milk is higher in vitamin E.
Q. Do almonds raise testosterone or estrogen?
Almonds do not have any direct effect on either estrogen or testosterone levels. However, almonds can be part of a healthy diet that can help to naturally regulate hormones by providing essential nutrients like healthy fats, fiber, and minerals. Also there is no evidence that consuming almonds has any effect on male sperm. While almonds are a healthy snack that is high in beneficial nutrients, eating them will not increase the quality or quantity of male sperm. There are many factors that affect sperm health, such as age, lifestyle, and environmental factors. Eating a balanced diet rich in fresh fruits and vegetables, healthy fats, and lean proteins is the best way to ensure optimal sperm health.
Q. What are health benefits of almond For women during pregnancy?
Simply eat 10 raw (unroasted) almonds for breakfast. In addition to providing a high-quality protein, almonds are a good source of calcium. Pregnant mothers need both. And they settle the stomach. Drinking homemade almond milk in the morning is very healthy breakfast. Here is DIY recipe.
- Soak about 10 raw (not toasted) almonds overnight in water.
- Peel off the skins, and put the almonds in the blender.
- Add 1 cup warm cow milk.
- While blending, add a pinch of ginger and a small pinch of nutmeg and saffron.
- During the summer add a delicious rose syrup elixir to mix in your almond milk. Almond milk helps to eliminate anxiety and also good to increase breast milk.
Q. How to use raw almonds for skin and hair care?
Try almond scrub and almond cleanser for better skin. Recipes mentioned here.
- Honey and Almond Scrub: To make this scrub put 8 whole, unblanched almonds and 2 tbsp rolled oats into a blender and grind until fine. Mix with 1 tbsp honey and 2 tsp natural plain yogurt. Apply to the face and neck, avoiding the eyes, and leave for up to 10 minutes. Massage with wet hands to gently exfoliate. Rinse off and pat dry.
- Honey, Almond and Lemon Cleanser: Mix together 1 tbsp honey, 2 tbsp finely ground almonds and 1/2 tsp lemon juice and dab gently on to the face. Rinse off with warm water. OR Mix almond powder with a little water, and apply the paste to your face. Let it dry and remain on your skin for up to half an hour, then rinse it off.
- Almond Hair Mask: Massaging the scalp with a teaspoonful of amla juice mixed with a teaspoonful of almond oil or few drops of lime juice, every night has proved beneficial in the prevention and treatment of premature graying of hair.
Q. Does badam increase IQ or benefits brain function?
In India, almond is generally considered a nutritive for the brain and nervous system. Also considered beneficial for high intellectual level and longevity. As per their concept, the longevity of an individual is neither due to a strong body nor an active nervous system but due to thin sense fibers (gyantantu) which arise from the brain and pass through neck. Almond provides nutrition to these sense fibers. It’s butter is very wholesome and commodious for students, for it rejuvenate the heart and calms the brain and the heat of the liver. “Almond Milk” is a very popular drink for throat and lung problems in Hong Kong and Canton, China. A cup of the same is recommended 2-3 times daily to relieve hoarseness and the raspy or wheezing sounds common to heavy smokers and asthmatics. This is also good for scratchy, irritated throats and dry or hacking coughs.
Q. How to make homemade almond lip balm with DIY recipe?
You can make homemade almond lip balm with following DIY recipe:
- Place 225 ml sweet almond oil and 110 g beeswax in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave on high for about one minute, until the mixture melts.
- Whisk 2 tbsp honey into the wax.
- When cool, pour into small containers with lids.
- Apply to lips as a moisturizer or on top of lipstick for extra shine.
- Mix 20 drops of oil with 20 ml of carrier oil such as almond oil.
- May be applied undiluted to insect bites or stings.
Q. What are almond hulls and what are it’s health benefits?
Along with milk, butter and raw whole almonds, almond hulls are also has very essential nutritional values. The methanol extract of hulls was found to contain caffeoylquinic acid, which has higher antioxidant activity which slows down the aging process. Almond hulls correspond to the fleshy mesocarp and pericarp of the fruit, that splits open at maturity.