Vitiligo Home Remedies | What is Vitiligo or Lecucoderma? | What Causes Vitiligo? | Common Symptoms of Leucoderma | Tips to prevent vitiligo and loss of pigmentation
What is Vitiligo or Lecucoderma?
Lecucoderma, also known as vitiligo, loss of pigmentation, distressing skin condition, white patchy skin spots, koda (Marathi), leykoderma (Russian), dhabala (Bengali), safed dag / shweta kushta (Hindi), venkuttam (Tamil). The word literally means ‘ white skin’. There is a gradual loss of pigment melanin from the skin layers which results in white patches. These patches look ugly, especially in persons with dark complexions. The condition does not cause any organic harm. It, however, brings about great psychological tension to the patient who is more embarrassed than the victim of any pain or discomfort. The condition thus, besides being a medical problem, also becomes a social stigma. Further, many wrong beliefs are prevalent about the causes of vitiligo.
What Causes Vitiligo?
It is not caused by eating fish and drinking milk at the same time, as is generally believed because even vegetarians suffer from this disorder. Other food combinations such as pumpkin and milk, onion and milk as possible causes of vitiligo also have no basis. Lucoderma is not caused by any germs; nor is it due bad blood. It is neither infectious nor contagious. It cannot be transmitted from one person to another by physical contact. The main causes of leukoderma are excessive mental worry, chronic or acute gastric disorder, impaired hepatic function such as jaundice, worms or other parasites in the alimentary canal, ailments like typhoid which affect the gastro intestinal tract, defective perspirative mechanism and burn injuries. Often the hormone secreting glands are involved in this disorder. Heredity is also a causative factor and about 30 per cent of patients have a family history of the disorder.
Common Symptoms of Leucoderma
Leukoderma, vitiligo, loss of pigmentation, white patchy skin, white spots. The problem usually starts with a small white spot and later on it develops into patches. These patches are pale in the beginning but become whiter and whiter as time passes due to loss of pigment. As spots enlarge, they merge into each other and, in course of time, form a very broad patch. In some cases, most of the skin of the body may be covered with Vitiligo. Leucoderma is a fairly common disorder and it affects one per cent or more of the world’s population. The incidence is a little higher in India and more common in women than men. The most affected areas are the hands, the neck, the back and the wrist in that order.
Vitiligo Home Remedies
8 Effective Ayurvedic vitiligo home remedies to treat white patchy skin spots naturally.
- Try some cluster seeds because these beans are very useful for leucoderma. You need to continue the remedy for 40 days so consider the quantity accordingly. Soak cluster seeds in ginger juice for 3 days, changing the ginger juice everyday. After 3 days take out seeds roughly rub into the palms to take out seed skin. Dry them in a shade. Grind it. Store in a clean jar. Take 1gm of powder everyday with 1 cup of milk. Continue for at least 40 days for good results. If possible apply powder + water paste on vitiligo.
- Levigate white ternatea flower plant roots with little water. Apply this paste on white patches everyday at least a month. Ternateas is also known as butterfly pea, blue pea, Asian pigeonwings and cordofan pea. Mostly available in purple color but for remedy you need white color flower plant.
- Red soil found near river bank or near mountains is very helpful for vitiligo. Contents of red soil helps to improve formation of melanin under skin. Mix ginger juice and red soil in same quantity. Apply this paste on vitiligo white patches once a day.
- Folk remedy. Take mustard seed powder and ghee in 1:8 proportion. Apply this paste on patches for few months. Ghee (home style clarified butter) should be very old and made with cow milk.
- Radish seeds are useful for vitiligo. Grind 30gms of radish seeds with sufficient amount of vinegar. Apply this paste on patches.
- Grind urad beans and apply paste on leukoderma patches.
- Take cluster seeds and tamarind seeds in equal quantity. Soak them in a water for 3-4 days. After 4 days peel seeds and dry them in a shade. Levigate seeds with water and apply paste on white patches. If this makes skin reddish or irritation stop immediately.
- Whole turmeric and mustard oil can combine for this remedy. Grind 500gms of whole turmeric and soak in 8 liters of water overnight. Next day morning boil this water for long time till water becomes 1 liter. Strain the water. Add 3 and 1/2 cup of mustard oil in it. Again boil this mixed liquid till it remains only oil. Strain and store in cool, dry place. Apply this oil everyday morning and evening for few months.
Tips to prevent vitiligo and loss of pigmentation
- Drink a cup of butter milk everyday with a pinch of salt.
- Include fresh butter (made with goat milk) in your diet.
- Use garlic in different forms in everyday meals.