Malaria is also known as plasmodium infection (Scientific), sheet jwar (Hindi/Urdu), hivtap (Marathi), maleriya (Tamil), Zhang (Chinese), Malaria (Spanish), malaria (Portuguese), Myaleriya (Bengali), malyariya (Russian). Malaria is a infectious disease with intermittent fevers which have a tendency to return again and again to haunt the sufferer. The word malaria comes from the Italian malaria, meaning bad air as it was once supposed to be caused by bad air. It is one of the most wide spread diseases in the world, especially in tropical and subtropical regions. The most common symptom of all types of malaria is high fever, which may come every day, on alternate days or every fourth day. Chill, headache, shivering and pain in the limbs are also common symptoms. The temperature comes down after some time with profuse sweating. There are three main types of malaria, depending upon the parasite which causes it. These are vivax, falciparum and malaria, commonly called tertian fever, quarter fever and the malignant tertian malaria. Malaria is caused by a tiny parasite called plasmodium. The parasites grow in the liver of a person for a few days and then enter the bloodstream where they invade the red blood cells. The disease is spread from a sick person to a healthy one by the female anopheles mosquito. She draws a small quantity of blood containing the parasites, when she bites a person who has malaria. These parasites then pass through several stages of development within the mosquito’s body and finally find their way to its salivary glands. There they lie in wait for an opportunity to enter the bloodstream of the next person.
11 Best herbal remedies for Malaria
- Popular Ayurveda Home Remedy: Fever nut is very effective and popular ancient time ayurvedic home remedy for Malaria. Good thing is you can store it for long time in the pantry. Take 6 fever nuts seeds with 1 cup of water. Repeat the same after one hour for sure fever relief. If still fever continues repeat the same after 1 more hour.
- Traditional Chinese Herbalism: Chinese wormwood (Artemisia annua) is a traditional Chinese remedy for malaria that grows in temperate regions around the world, led to the discovery that it was a highly effective treatment for malaria. the herb, and in particular its key active constituent, artemisinin, is at present the only certain treatment for severe malarial illness.
- Beneficial Treatment With Lime Water: Lime and lemon are beneficial in the treatment of quarter type of malaria fever. This is good remedy for the fever attacks returning after 4 days. About three grams of lime should be dissolved in about 60 ml. of water and juice of one lemon added to it. This water should be taken before the onset of the fever.
- Treat Returning Fever: If the fever is returning after 2-3 hours then try Angel’s trumpets leaves. Take 2 1/2 fresh leaves of angel’s trumpets and mix with jaggery. Make small pill with this mixture and take two hours before the onset of fever.
- Natural Treatment for Malaria: Grapefruit is very useful for malaria. The juice, or the fruit itself, contains valuable and natural ‘quinine’ which is advantageous for the treatment of malaria. This substance can be extracted from the fruits by boiling a quarter of the grapefruit and straining its pulp.
- Herbal Medicine for Chills and Fatigue: Cinnamon, an Indian spice, is regarded as an effective cure for all types of colds, including malaria. It should be coarsely powdered and boiled in a glass of water with a pinch of pepper powder and honey. This can be used beneficially as a medicine in malaria.
- Tibetan Folk Remedy: Swertia chirata (Chirayata) is used in Indian Ayurvedic Herbal System to cure Fever as in Laghu sudarshana churna, Maha sudarshan Churna and in Tibetan folk medicine. In 250 ml water add 15 gm of chirayata. Bring water to boil and add small stick of cinnamon and 4 cloves. Make infusion and take 15ml thrice a day.
- Alum is also useful in malaria. It should be roasted over a hot plate and powdered. It should be taken about four hours before the expected attack and every two hours after it.
- Dry roast and powder the fenugreek seeds and mix in water to drink. Continue for a week to get rid of malaria. Fenugreek seeds have antibiotic properties and building immunity that helps to fight malaria.
- Preventive for Malaria: The leaves of the holy basil (tulsi) are considered beneficial in the prevention of malaria. An infusion of some leaves can be taken daily for this purpose. The juice of about 11 grams of tulsi leaves mixed with three grams of black pepper, powder, can be taken beneficially in the cold stage of the malarial fever.
- Roughly grind 10 black peppers. Add them in 1 cup boiling water, keep boiling till water becomes 1/3 cup. Take 2 teaspoonful after each 3 hours for whole day.
Tips to Prevent Malaria
- Avoid mosquito bites.
- Maintain cleanliness of surroundings, environmental hygiene and to eradicate stretches of stagnant water in order to stop mosquito growth.