Tinnitus is also known as tinnitasa / kan me bajane wali awaj (Hindi/Urdu), kanat ghonara gungun sarakha awaj (Marathi), Katiraiccal (Tamil), erming (Chinese), Tinnitus (Spanish), zumbido (Portuguese), Kane bhom bhom shabda (Bengali), zvon v ushakh (Russian). Tinnitus is a hissing, buzzing, whistling, or ringing sound experienced in the ear. It is usually continuous, but the sufferer’s awareness of it is intermittent. Tinnitus is related to damage to the hair cells of the inner ear. It may be a symptom of colds and flu, ear infections and excessive ear wax, brain or head injuries, Ménière’s disease, and otosclerosis. The ringing, roaring, clicking, or hissing sounds heard with tinnitus can be caused due to hard masses of wax in the ear; a stuffy nose; such drugs as quinine, antibiotics, aspirin, and alcohol; and excessive smoking. Age-related hearing loss, exposure to loud noise for long time, ear bone changes, TMJ disorders, head injuries or neck injuries and acoustic neuroma can be other causes of tinnitus. Sensorineural hearing loss is often accompanied by ear noise, or tinnitus. Because the inner ear has no pain fibers, damage is not accompanied by pain.
9 Best home remedies for Tinnitus
Ayurveda offers several recommendations to restore hearing or retard hearing loss. However, if these treatment suggestions don’t result in any improvement after a couple of months, or if your hearing loss seems to be increasing rather than diminishing, seek a doctor’s advice.
- Best Herbal Remedy: According to Ayurveda to alleviate root cause of tinnitus try herbal tea made from equal amounts of comfrey, cinnamon, and chamomile. Steep up to 1 teaspoon of this mixture per cup, and drink 2 or 3 times a day.
- Ginko biloba for Tinnitus: By improving blood flow to the central nervous system, ginkgo can benefit nerve-related problems such as dizziness, vertigo, nerve deafness, and tinnitus (ringing in the ears). Although such conditions can be very difficult to treat effectively, ginkgo is well worth trying for possible improvement in symptoms. The best way to take it as an extract which you will probably only find in a health food store. When shopping look for 50:1 on the label. 40mgs per day is recommended to treat Tinnitutis.
- Stop Ringing in Ear: For tinnitus caused by blood congestion or pressure in the head, try black cohosh. Use 10–30 drops of tincture diluted in water, and drink it as often as necessary.
- Treat Mastoid Bone: Gently rubbing the mastoid bone (behind your ear) with warm sesame oil may be helpful. Try it twice day, morning and evening, for a week, and see if it helps.
- Feverfew is effective for tinnitus, and taken daily may prevent attacks.
- Tinnitus caused by poor circulation or high blood pressure may respond to treatment with hawthorn.
- Garlic Oil for Ear Buzzing: Garlic oil is often effective. Place 3 drops into your ear at night before going to bed. How to make garlic oil at home? Here is the recipe. Pour about 1 tablespoon of sesame oil into a small pan, and into it place 1 clove of garlic, well chopped. Cook till the garlic turns brown, then let it cool. While cooking, press the garlic into the oil. This helps the healing properties of the garlic ooze out and permeate the oil. The resulting mixture, which has an excellent fragrance, is called garlic oil. Oil should be used in the ear only when there is no infection.
- Chinese Herbalism: A herbalist might treat a Blood Deficiency, and use the following herbs: Shu di Huang and Tu Su Zi, which are commonly used in the treatment of tinnitus.
- The yoga postures may be helpful are – Lion, Camel, Cobra, and Cow. Alternate Nostril breathing may also be effective.
Healthy tips to prevent tinnitus
- Eat plenty of food rich in vitamins A and C, and bioflavonoids, which are very good for circulation.
- Avoid popcorn, corn chips, beans, raw vegetables, and cold drinks.
- Try increasing the following nutrients in your diet: magnesium, potassium, and manganese. Deficiency of these has been linked with tinnitus
- Keep out of cold drafts.