Stomach Ulcer Home Remedies | What is Duodenum and Gastric Ulcers? | Common Symptoms of Stomach Ulcer | Root Causes of Stomach Ulcer | Simple Tips to Prevent Gastric Ulcers
What is Duodenum, Stomach Ulcer and Gastric Ulcer?
Stomach ulcers is also known as Peptic Ulcer (Scientific), pet ke chale (Hindi/Urdu), pachak vran (Marathi), Vayirru pun (Tamil), Kadupulo pundu (Telugu), peprrik alsar (Malayalam), Xiaohua xing kuiyang (Chinese), Ulcera peptica (Spanish), ulcera peptica (Portuguese), Pakasthalira ksata (Bengali), YAzvennaya bolezn (Russian), bisul perut (Indonesian). Stomach ulcers occur most commonly in the duodenum, near the junction with the stomach, and in the stomach wall. Peptic Ulcer refers to an eroded lesion in the gastric intestinal mucosa. An ulcer may form in any part of the digestive tract which is exposed to acid gastric juice. But is usually found in the stomach and the duodenum. They usually occur singly as round or oval wounds. The ulcer located in the stomach is known as gastric ulcer and that in the duodenum is a duodenal ulcer. Usually both are grouped together and termed peptic ulcer.
What are Common Symptoms of Stomach Ulcer?
The most common symptoms of peptic ulcer are sharp and severe pain and discomfort in the upper central abdomen. The erosions are usually shallow, but can penetrate the entire wall, leading to hemorrhage and possibly death. Burning or gnawing is common during the pain. Gastric ulcer pain usually occurs an hour after meals, but rarely at night. Duodenal ulcer pan usually occurs between meals when the stomach is empty. This can relieve by food, especially milk. It is often described as hunger pain and gets the sufferer out of bed mid-morning. As the disease progresses there is distension of the stomach due to excessive flatulence. Besides mental tension, insomnia and a gradual weakening of the body. It may also cause constipation with occasional blood in the stools. But if an ulcer bleeds slowly, there is anaemia.
Main Causes of Stomach Ulcer
- Hyperacidity: Stomach ulcers result from hyperacidity. An increase in hydrochloric acid in the stomach causes hyperacidity. This strong acid, secreted by the cells lining the stomach, affects much of the breakdown of food. It can be potentially dangerous and, under certain circumstances, it may eat its way through the lining of the stomach or duodenum producing, first, irritation of the stomach wall and eventually an ulcer. When gastric juices (consisting of hydrochloric acid, mucus, and a digestive enzyme called pepsin) act upon the walls of the digestive tract, a peptic ulcer results. Stomach ulcers tend to become chronic.
- Wrong Eating Habits: Dietetic indiscretion, like overeating, taking of heavy meals or highly spiced foods, coffee, alcohol and smoking are the main factors contributing to this condition. The ingestion of certain drugs, particularly aspirin, food poisoning, infections like influenza and septicaemia and gout may also cause ulcers.
- Stress: Emotional stress or nervous tension also plays a major role in the formation of ulcers. The peptic ulcer develops when there is imbalance between the normal “aggressive” factors, the acidpeptic secretions, and the normal “resistance” factors, such as mucus and rapid cellular replacement.
Stomach Ulcer Home Remedies
Gastric (stomach) ulcers affect both men and women, usually over the age of 40, while duodenal ulcers are more common in men. Ulcers in the lower esophagus are relatively rare and are usually associates with hiatus hernia and esophagitis. Duodenal ulcers are two to three times more common than gastric ulcers. People with blood group O Rh-positive are more likely to get them. Here are15 Home remedies for stomach, duodenum and gastric stomach ulcer pain healing.
- Fruits Regulates Metabolism: Try this tasty recipe with Bananas, Pineapple, Blueberries, Ground Cinnamon, Ground Cloves, Ground Ginger, Honey. Cut up the bananas and pineapple and place in a serving bowl. Add blueberries and season generously with the Cinnamon, Cloves and Ginger and sweeten with the Honey. Or, use above ingredients to create a anti-ulcer drink.
- Psyllium Husks to Avoid Constipation: Taking 1 teaspoon of sat isabgol (psyllium husks) at bedtime with a cup of warm milk will also be beneficial.
- Cinnamon Clears Ulcers From Root: Mix together 1 Tablespoon of raw honey, especially Active Manuka Honey with 1/4 Teaspoon of cinnamon powder. Take this mixture everyday that can effectively treat stomach upset and clear ulcers in the stomach from the root.
- Almond Binds Stomach Acid: Almond milk made from blanched almonds in a blender is very beneficial as it binds the excess of acid in the stomach and supplies high quality proteins.
- Treat High Acidity: To treat ulcers effectively, treat the high acidity. If you have ulcers, strictly avoid hot spicy food, fermented or sour food, sour fruit, and citrus fruit. Stay away from alcohol, tobacco, and coffee. And do not take aspirins or steroids, which can accelerate erosion of the gastric mucosal membrane.
- Herbal Formula to Prevent Ulceration: Mix togther brahmi, jatamamsi, and yashti madhu in an equal quantity. A tea made from 1/2 teaspoon of these herbs per cup of water, taken after lunch and dinner, can help to inhibit acid secretions and prevent ulceration. This can be the best acid blocker in Ayurveda.
- Aloe Vera – A Traditional Home Remedy: A different part of the leaf yields a latex and, taken internally, it has longstanding traditional use in treating stomach and duodenal ulcers and irritable bowel syndrome. Try taking one teaspoon of aloe vera juice after meals. It has a soothing effect on the ulcer, and interferes with the release of hydrochloric acid by the stomach. Use either 99% aloe gel or fresh aloe gel gently scraped from the inner leaf of an Aloe vera plant.
- Soothe Mucous Membranes: Licorice has a soothing effect on the stomach and the mucous membranes. Drink a decoction three or four times each day to ease symptoms.
- Stress Relief Medication: Stress is often the cause of or a complicating factor in ulcers. Shitali pranayama, a breathing exercise that has a cooling, soothing effect, will be helpful. Moon breathing (breathing through the left nostril only) for 5 to 10 minutes has a cooling effect that may also be helpful. You may also try one of the stress reducing therapies from psychotherapy, biofeedback, relaxation breathing, mindfulness based meditation, guided imagery, tai chi, qigong, and yoga.
- Irritation in Stomach Lining: Bananas neutralizes the over acidity of the gastric juices and reduces the irritation of the ulcer by quoting the lining of the stomach. Banana and milk are ideal for the patients who are in an advanced state of the disease.
- Goat Milk Heals Naturally: Raw goat’s milk is also highly beneficial. It actually helps to heal stomach ulcer.
- Cabbage – Alternative Easy Cure: Cabbage is regarded as another useful home remedy for peptic ulcers. Boil cabbage in water. Cool the water and take twice a day. The fresh juice of white cabbage stimulates the immune system and contains glutamine, an amino acid that may improve the stomach’s protective lining. Just blend the cabbage with water and drink strained 1/2 cup of juice thrice a day. Store the unused portion in the refrigerator. Discard after twenty-four hours.
- Shatavari Herb – An Indian Folk Treatment: Make an effective herbal treatment for ulcers with natural formula – shatavari. Mix together shatavari (5 teaspoon), yashti madhu (3 teaspoon), shanka bhasma (1/8 teaspoon) and kama dudha (1/8 teaspoon). Take 1/2 teaspoon of this mixture twice a day, after lunch and dinner, with a little warm water.
- Cure Gastric Hyper Acidity: Taken internally, neem’s many uses include bacterial, fungal, and viral infection, allergic reactions such as asthma, diabetes, digestive problems such as stomach ulcers, and liver disorders. Neem bark extract has the potential for the development of novel medicines for the therapeutic control of gastric hyperacidity and ulcer.
- Healing with Herbs: The leaves of kalyana murangal tree, which is a variety of drumstick found in South India, have also proved helpful in the healing of the ulcers. The leaves of this tree are ground into a paste and taken mixed with yogurt daily.
Simple Tips to Prevent Stomach Ulcers
Apart from above mentioned stomach ulcer home remedies, here are few tips to prevent it in first place.
- Drink eight to 10 glasses of water every day.
- Avoid late night dinner.
- Eat small, frequent meals.
- Get enough sleep. chronic sleep deprivation raises your risk of stomach ulcer disease and worsens inflammatory bowel disease.
- Exercise. Although extreme exercise can increase the risk of gastritis and peptic ulcers, moderate, regular physical activity has a protective effect on the gut and also relieves stress.