People have used herbs since earliest times. The history of herbs and spices is as long as the history of mankind. The knowledge of herbs has been handed down from generation to generation for thousands of years. Through Aarogya Samhita website we are trying to hand over this biological and cultural heritage to the next generation. Herbs link the past, present, and future of human life; they are a vital part of our life. We hope Aarogya Samhita will be a convenient reference for those who wish to learn about herbs and shrubs.
Food Nutritional Facts
“Your food itself is medicine”, its true. Do know that your food not only satisfy your hunger but also can work as best medicine. In fact if you follows good eating habits and eating healthy food then you don’t need a medicine. Your food can act as your health saver and keeps you healthy. But how? Simple. You just have to know which food effects how on your health and decide which food you have to eat more and which to eat less according to your metabolism. Food that keeps you fresh, energetic and the one that suits your metabolism is ideal food.
What are the benefits of healthy food?
Healthy life is happy life. Diet and nutrition are vital keys to control good health. Nature has provided us with mechanisms found predominately in plants to defend against any disease. Everyday in our body thousands of cells gets destroyed and same number of new cells forms. Food is the main source to form new cells. Balanced food not only helps this process but also gives you energy, smartness and makes your brain more sharp. If you know everything about your food benefits, you can shape your health the way want. Here in this website this is my humble try to make you aware of food nutrients, benefits and provide you home remedies that truly works, so as to save your time and money that you spend on medicine. One of the main reasons of using plant products in our everyday diet is that, they are completely side effects free.
Food that Heals
For simplicity and for making it easy to browse we have divided food and their names into general categories. This classification of food done based on the nature of food, its nutrition qualities and impact on the human body. The detailed explanation for particular category is available on the respective page. Along with it’s benefits to human body we have also tried to include the different sources of these foods and also how we can include these food item in our everyday life with simple cooking recipe tips. Here is the list of sections to know food nutritional facts.
- Nutritional Facts of Fruits: Fruits and vegetables we eat and the lifestyle that we live in has greater impact on our overall health. It is therefore very important understand our food and what kind of nutrition it provides. Once we know all these health benefits we can very well plan our diet the way we want. There are many websites, videos and books available nowadays about fruits and it’s health benefits. Every one is suggesting different approach and it is really hard to choose the one that suits our requirements. Making a wise choice can be challenging. Each body requires different type of nutrition. Fruits are necessary for building and strengthening the body’s natural immunity and defense mechanisms. Aarogya Samhita has tried to provide nutrition information for some commonly known fruits.
- Nutritional Facts of Flowers: There are several varieties of flower, we see around us. Some are popular due to color and some are due to fragrant. Since ancient times growing flowers is often associates with temples. In India flowers has sacred values and many people using it for daily worship and rituals. But flowers are not grown and harvested only for these properties. Many flowers are useful in cosmetics, perfumery and beauty and body care. The toiletry and allied industry uses flowers and their fragrant oils for the manufacture of soaps, toothpastes, face packs, lotions, freshness sachets, toilet waters and hair oils. Flowers are edible too. Some of the earliest edible flowers were planted about 4000 years ago in Egypt.
- Nutritional Facts of Grains: Evolution of grains and farming have changed the course of history and in economic terms have greater importance as ingredients in food. The knowledge of farming has been handed down from generation to generation for thousands of years. Wars have been fought and lands conquered for the sake of these plants. No other commodity has played a more pivotal role in the development of modern civilization as grains. In most parts of the world, grains are grown mainly as field crops or on a small scale as a catch crop. Having evolved with grains for thousands of years, our bodies have an innate familiarity with them, recognize them on the deepest levels, and efficiently utilize them. This website is trying to provide more information about grains such as names in different languages, classification, health benefits, nutritional values, storage tips, and recipe guide to demonstrate how to incorporate grains effectively in every day cooking.
- Nutritional Facts of Herbs and Shrubs: The history of herbs and shrubs is as long as the history of mankind. People have used these plants since earliest times. Even today we continue to depend on herbs for many of our newest medicines. Herbs are also useful in culinary preparations, perfumery and cosmetics. Many medicinal herbs are also food, oil and fiber plants and have always been useful for a range of purposes. Herbs are also powerful adaptogens, increasing the body’s ability to adapt to the ever changing environment and stressors of life.
- Leafy Green Veggies: Dark green leafy veggies have been an essential factor in health care. As it is a great source of chlorophyll, It nourishes the deep inner ecology of our systems on a cellular level. Eating green vegetables dramatically expand exposure to protective natural chemicals and reduces risk of multiple diseases. It is possible to prepare leafy vegetables in number of ways to extract their active ingredients for internal and external use. Eat these vegetables raw as well as cooked. Also extracts from green veggies are useful as infusions, decoctions, macerations, tinctures, fluid extracts, teas, juices, syrups, poultices, compresses, oils, ointments and powders.
- Medicinal Plants: Plants and people indeed have a unique connection in them. Apart from using plants as food, they have been useful for many other uses. Plants also have the power to change our physiological functioning. They have social and religious significance too. Due to their medicinal properties, plants have been the mainstay of folk medicine in many cultures. Even today they are very popular among the people from less developed countries, where pharmaceutical drugs are unavailable or unaffordable. Because of their antioxidant and antimicrobial properties they are essential ingredients in beauty care as cleansing agents, infusions, skin toners, moisturizers, eye lotions, bathing oils, shampoos and hair conditioners, cosmetic creams, antiseptic and anti tanning lotions and creams, improvement of complexion and purifying blood.
- Nuts and Dry Fruits: Nuts and dry fruits are very useful in many home remedies as well as in natural cures. This section is fully dedicate to understand medicinal benefits and nutritional values of nuts and fry fruits. Does dry fruits increase weight? Which dry fruit is good for skin glow? How many Anjeer should be eaten daily? Which is better for brain – almonds or walnuts ? Who is the king of dry fruits? Once you know the property and nature of specific spice then it will be easy for you to use it next time in dishes as per requirement. We are also explaining preservation techniques to enhance the safety and quality of foods with minimal use of synthetic additives or preservatives.
- Spices: Spices are among the most versatile and widely used ingredients in food processing. Indian spices and condiments are very popular all over the world. History and culture of these spices are not only available in Rig Veda and Indian Vedas but also found references in Bible and Quran. These spices attracted many foreigners to India in history and found these spices as precious as diamonds and textiles. Even during this modern era India is not only largest producer but also largest exporter of spices, this is why India is popular as home of spices. Apart from their traditional role in flavoring and coloring foods, they have been increasingly useful as natural preservatives and for their potential health promoting properties. In addition to imparting flavor and taste, they play a major role in food preservation by delaying the spoilage of food. There are variety of ways to use these spices – whole, raw, ripen, dried, powdered, and pieces. Apart from taste it adds color, aroma, flavor and pungency. Due to their medicinal properties these spices are useful in the formation of medicines, perfumes, cosmetics, essential oils, pharmaceutical, incense stick, and in religious rituals like “Yadnya”.
- Vegetables: Vegetables are globally recommended by registered physicians as a consistent part of diet. Once you have a better understanding of the role of vegetables and fruits on health, you can easily opt for healthy lifestyle. Greater consumption of variety of vegetables and fruits helps you to lower use of meat, margarine, sugar, and fat. This will definitely help you to tackle obesity and cardiovascular diseases. Vegetarian diet not only helpful for decreasing diseases but also for lengthening longevity.
- Dairy Products: Discover top 5 healthiest dairy products. Is it good to drink milk everyday? What are two nutrients found in dairy products? Learn advantages and disadvantages of dairy products.
- Miscellaneous: What are the 3 Superfoods? What is the first thing you should drink in the morning? What foods help burn belly fat?